- Total 1K
- Win 941
- Mac 275
- Linux 255
|Sep 28||Sep 27||Sep 26||Sep 25||Sep 24||Sep 23||Sep 22||Sep 21||Sep 20||Sep 19||Sep 18||Sep 17||Sep 16||Sep 15||Sep 14||Sep 13||Sep 12||Sep 11||Sep 10||Sep 9||Sep 8||Sep 7||Sep 6||Sep 5||Sep 4||Sep 3||Sep 2||Sep 1||Aug 31||Aug 30||Aug 29||Aug 28||Aug 27||Aug 26||Aug 25||Aug 24||Aug 23||Aug 22||Aug 21||Aug 20||Aug 19||Aug 18||Aug 17||Aug 16||Aug 15|
Author: Idan Avitan
Credit to: Dooble
This plugin shows tooltip under the cursor or on mouse hover when on function name in sublime text 3. Works on every language (include custom languages).
- Comes with documentation for HTML, CSS and Sublime API (Python).
- Write your own documentation above function definition.
- Define more than one documentation file to the same language scope.
- Tooltip window change his color accord to the current theme in sublime.
- Determine the order of the attributes in tooltip window.
- Control on settings like: window size, timeout, debug mode.
- Go to documentation definition.
- Go to documentation website.
- CSS control from the settings file.
How does it work?
There are two ways to create documentation: Built-in files & Dynamic doc.
For Built-in files:
- Make sure you have in packages ToolTipHelper\db folder.
languageName.sublime-tooltip(JSON file) in this folder.
- Declare on this file in settings with his scope name
Once you create
languageName.sublime-tooltip and declare on him, the tooltip knows to search for documentation and take the data from there and shows popup window.
This file contain every attribute name that you want show up in the tooltip window. For example attributes names for function can be: method name, parameters, description and return value.
NOTE: JSON file needs to be clean from some characters that can cause him to error. You can use this site to check if your file is valid.
Here is example of sublime API documentation:
Some important things about file format:
For Dynamic doc:
- Choose a function.
- Write doc tag streight above the function.
- Add some attributes between the tag when each key and value separated by a colon.
Note: in case we have more than one documentation for function name, a quick panel will open with list of results. Each result show with row number and name of the file, when chosing result the tooltip window get opened. You can run the tooltip again and the last result you pick up will be highlighted.
Make sure you have Package Control before continue (you can still download ZIP of the project from GitHub if you don't want to install package control, but its not recommended).
To add the ToolTip Helper Package to Sublime, you first need to add a new repository to your package manager. To do so, while in sublime, open the Command Palette. To open the palette, press
ctrl+shift+p (Win, Linux) or
cmd+shift+p (OS X).
There, you should search “Add Repository”:
After that, you need paste this link: https://github.com/doobleweb/ToolTip-Helper.git and press enter.
Once the repository added you need to install the package. To do so open again palette (ctrl+shift+p) and search “Install Package” and press enter.
NOTE: It is recommended to re-open sublime text after the installation finished.
Make sure you have folder named ToolTip-Helper\db in packages (Preferences>>Browse packages). This folder must contain
See also default settings file
You can find this file in ToolTip-Helper folder or go to the menu Preferences>>tooltip helper>>settings - default.
As you can see this file contain array of documentaiton files for each language. Every item must include scope and file_name like in the img.
- Scope - the scope name must be valid otherwise it won’t work. If you don’t know how write a valid scope you can see the
scopes.txtfile in git project or press
ctrl+alt+shift+pin sublime text (you see the scope name in the status bar).
- File Name - include the
languageName.sublime-tooltipfile name. This array of files is the way of the tooltip to know if search this files in “ToolTipHelper\db” folder.
- Link - you can write link to documentation site for another information (The link is optional).
NOTE: There are two places you can put links: in the settings file or\and in the json file as “link” attribute. The tooltip will choose the most “inner” link if there is one.
To override the default settings You can open file in
packages\user\ToolTipHelper.sublime-settings or go to the menu Preferences>>tooltip helper>>settings - user.
Enter data via user interface
If you create
languageName.sublime-tooltip in the db folder and you want shortcut to declare him, use this way.
To run this command you have 3 ways:
- Open the palette, press
ctrl+shift+p and choose 'Tooltip helper insert data to settings'.
- Preferences>>tooltip helper>>enter data.
In case you dont want give a link, just press on enter.
Currently, the plugin works with
F1 or command pallete. If you want to change it, go to Preferences>>key bindings-user.
- Go To Documentation in built-in files.